The small village of Bergville is known as the gateway to the Central Drakensberg Area. Situated close to the Royal Natal National Park the region is renowned for its breathtaking views of the Drakensberg Amphitheatre and surrounds. The area provides visitors with a variety of outdoor activities including rock climbing and hiking to various places of interest such as the Echo Cave and Cannibal Cavern which was actually once inhabited by real cannibals.
Bergville is also ideally situated for horse riding, river rafting and kayaking, picnicking and trout fishing at Royal Natal National Park, and Cathedral Peak. Bird-watching is also popular in the Bergville district, with as many as 134 species to be spotted in the area. There are a number of large dams near Bergville namely Woodstock Dam, Spioenkop Dam and Game Reserve where visitors can view game which includes the likes of Giraffe, Rhino, Zebra and and various other species, and Sterkfontein Dam and nature reserve which boasts as the largest reservoir in the world.
Bergville has a rich history which can be explored at any of the various battlefields, monuments and museums in the area, which includes a British
military cemetery, and the Ladysmith Siege Museum. Tours and shows in the Bergville district vary from guided tours of the Tuva hydro-electric power
station , which is constructed completely underground, to tours of the Basotho Cultural Village, or visitors can explore the world of home made cheese
at Tevreden Cheese farm; whilst Falcon Ridge Birds of prey Sanctuary offers interesting live bird shows and presentations on the origins of falconry.
Another notable attraction to the area is the Drakensberg Boys Choir which often stage concerts and performances for visitors. Restaurants in
Bergville include Bingelela, Tower of Pizza, Polo Club, St. Anton's, Thokosiza, The Bridge and EatCentric.
Bergville Attractions and places of interest:
- Rug weaving and Candle making at Kwa-Zulu Weavers
- Leather craft available from Brambleberry products
- Thandanani Zulu handcrafts, traditional beadwork, baskets and woodwork
- The Amphitheatre Golf Club
- Bushman Paintings
- indigenous forests
- Cape Vulture feeding sites
- Cultural and Tribal tours to the Amazizi and Amangwane communities
- Basotho Cultural Village
- Voortrekker Pass and monument
- Lost Valley quad and 4x4 tour
- Bezuidenhout's Pass 4x4 route
- Off road bike trails - Bezuidenhout Pass and Middledale Pass
- Kwaggashoek Game Ranch Drives with giraffe, hippo, warthog
- Tintwa and Middledale Pass scenic drive
- Visit to the Statue of the Kaalvoet Vroue and Voortrekkers Pass
- Mountain biking
- Mnweni Cultural Village